Every dress has a story, just like every birthday holds a year of memories and lessons learned. Recently I cleaned out some of those dresses, whether it was because they didn’t fit, they were old, they just never got worn or I just plain didn’t like them anymore. The same goes for what I am taking with me into year 28, I have done some thinking, some soul cleansing and this is what I am taking with me,
- Fight for what you believe in, with all of your heart, no matter what, because no one else is going to do it for you.
- Give back when you can because you can.
- Waiting doesn’t get things done. Go and get what you want.
- I will never settle. I don’t have to.
- I have an amazing family.
- Traveling the world has made me who I am and I am far from done.
- Every girl needs a little black dress.
- I’ve been a Bridesmaid and a Maid of Honor, but being a Groomswoman far surpasses them all.
- The honor of being asked to be a Godmother has instilled a sense of responsibility in me that I am beyond excited to carry out.
- Sometimes you just have to bust out the “happy dance” and celebrate.
- Everyone has their opinion of your life. Listen, but trust you heart, you know yourself the best.
- Sports and good beer are key.
- Not everyone is going to like me. It’s cool.
- No one ever references a little leap of faith. Believe in your self and leap, its so worth it!
- Meeting new people never gets old.
- Just keep swimming, just keep swimming…
- Independence is a powerful thing.
- I am worth way more than 2nd place.
- I will never understand the cultural obsession with vampires and Twilight.
- Friends come and go, but the true ones remain no matter the circumstances, the distance, or the differences. I have some pretty amazing ones.
- Helping other people, helps you help yourself. What you put into the universe is what you get back.
- Really take the time to recognize what you have in life, acknowledge it and be thankful.
- Sometimes you just have to sweat it out.
- At some point you will realize you have to let go. Breathe in, breathe out, move on. You will be better for it.
- I wear my heart on my sleeve. I have tried not to, but that’s not me. I love with all my heart, cry with all my heartache and learn from every experience. I give my all because anything less is unacceptable.
- Bad days happen, cry is out, stomp, and scream, its ok because they make you stronger.
- There is nothing wrong with being single. One day I will be married and have children… key word ONE DAY, there is no rush.
I think often times I let myself get too caught up in what the world needs from me and lose sight of what I need from myself. I can get so consumed with getting the job done, making the client happy, making my family happy, making it to the party, my next date, volunteering at the next event… the list goes on and on and on, that I forget some of these lessons learned. The demand for success can be so overwhelming that when I am faced with failure or disappointment, in any aspect of my life, that it crumbles me to the core. And thats when those 6 words come out. The six words that encompass all of those 27 lessons learned. Those six words are my mantra. So here I am 28, self-employed, successful, happier than happy, thankful for how far I have come and my journey to get here and living by my mantra. There are times when I close my eyes and say it in my head and other times I feel the need to shout it from the rooftops,
“I AM ME. I AM STRONG.”
So I’m ready. Twenty-eight, here I come with all I am and all I have learned, full speed and full of strength with some pretty awesome dresses. Watch out world 28 is going to be an amazing year!